Reading for Mommas...Yes, There is Time for That

During these lazy, hazy days of summer, my 8YO and I have traveled to as many of the St. Louis County Libraries as possible. (More on that later. Til then, browse here: http://www.slcl.org) I have found two books thus far that are worthy of posting, as they have made me laugh out loud while lying my beached whale self on the couch. (Ok, I admit, that's all I have read so far, excepting the craft books that serve as eye candy while a certain neighbor a couple doors down isn't mowing his lawn with his shirt off.)

In no particular order, might I recommend a couple books to the momma's out there?

#1: Not Tonight Honey, wait til I'm a size 6 by Susan Reinhardt

For any momma who understands the need for a little....ah....support. You momma's know what I mean. Pay particular attention to the chapter titled, "The Uterine Comptroller." I was laughing out loud at that one. Note: This author is southern through and through. Though not all of us worry about what the Junior League thinks of us, we certainly can relate to having "Others" frown upon us for not being "enough." Go ahead, pick up a roasted chicken from Schnucks, put it in your own casserole dish, and claim it as your own.

Find it at SLCL here.

#2: The Sweet Potato Queens' Guide to Raising Children for Fun and Profit by Jill Conner Browne

Oh. My. Gawd. This is my first Sweet Potato Queen book and I am devouring it as if it were the blessed tuber itself drowned in brown sugar and butter. I am on chapter 12. To all the mommas out there who are just sick to death of "Others" tell them about how it is important to let the baby "cry it out" and fall asleep while the "Others" don't have to listen to the agony theirownselves, please refer to chapter 9.
I love how the author writes as she speaks, including words that spell checks don't accept, like "herownself" and "theirownselves." And to just about anyone out there who loses all sense while conversing with a pregnant woman? (Actually, that includes the majority of the human population. Why it is not required by law to read that chapter I will never know.) Please refer to chapter 3, "How to Talk to a Pregnant Woman."

Find it at SLCL here.

I'll post more when I am able. The Boy is hungry and it is time to show him some Love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mumsaid judge not lest ye be judged...or something like that

Mumsaid take care of yourself

Mumsaid have fun