Less than one day to go...

I am spending the day doing small chores around the house and playing on the internet. I say "playing," but really I am doing some planning, reading, and renewing.

Yesterday my Babydaddy came home telling me of a frightening, yet rather grand, idea:

Paper Christmas.

No decorations from the box. Paper and paper only. Handmade decorations. I am not sure about gifts. (I hope it doesn't include gifts because I have already started my Santa-ing.)

My first reaction: I MUST have Christmas lights. The lights create warmth in a cold season of darkness. They are Pagan, Christian, AND Jewish in origin. Must. Have. Lights.

He agreed. Lights and paper. I thought, "Now THERE'S a visit from Eureka Fire Department waiting to happen. We haven't had them over since the gas leak. I'll whip up some cookies and get ready."

I have been researching "green" crafts, and I am not a fan of the Uber-commercialized Winter Holiday Season, so I am no stranger to this idea. However, when Babydaddy has an idea, I fear the extreme. Besides, this will be Jenna's first Christmas, and the only one for years where she won't be able to pull over the Christmas tree or stick her fingers into the extension cord octopus. Aidan and I were going to build his Lego train around the tree. What about my obsessive color coordination of the decorations? I have worked for years to collect ornaments in shades of blue, green, and hot pink for the living room, and pink and silver for our bedroom. Aidan's tree is metallic red, with ornaments of his choosing, sans my "artistic perspective" on his choices. (Heaven forbid the living room tree have two same-colored ornaments anywhere NEAR each other. Don't you people understand visual balance???) Since the addition of a husband and cat (and now baby) to my household, I have less room for the "Gaza Strip" sized nativity scene that I have acquired over the past 11 years. (Seriously. I have the entire war-torn Middle East in my living room at Christmas. It is a little intimidating to set up due to the lack of square footage we have in our humble abode.) So there are some things that could, and should, be simplified.

The lights are not one of those things.

I would like to share some links to sites I have discovered that promote "Simple Living," whether at Christmas or all year round. If things like Morgan Spurlock films offend you, DO NOT CLICK. I, however, find "What Would Jesus Buy?" very inspiring, if not somewhat obnoxious. (The film can be viewed in it's entirety online.)

http://www.buynothingchristmas.org/


http://down---to---earth.blogspot.com/2008/09/homemade-christmas.html

More to come...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mumsaid judge not lest ye be judged...or something like that

Mumsaid take care of yourself

Mumsaid have fun